Underworld have announced details of DRIFT Series 1, that concludes on November 1, 2019 with a collection of new material released as a box set/LP/CD/DL and on streaming services. The box set features 7 CDs, a Blu-ray and an eighty page full colour book.
New track S T A R online everywhere now:
What is DRIFT?
• It’s precisely one year inside the minds of Underworld.
• It’s a journey that began on 1st November 2018 when Underworld released the track Another Silent Way and set off with no map, no fixed destination and a simple mantra (“Drift is the opposite of ‘normal’ or ‘usual’ practice; we’ll do this until we’re dust.”) ‘Rick Smith and Karl Hyde’s aim was to create and publish music and film episodically for 52 weeks and see where the journey took them. Within a few weeks, the experiment found its own path, prompting the electronic pioneers to react to previous releases and create new works accordingly. Over time, the duo’s innate curiosity opened up a unique space in which they could experiment, learn and explore new frontiers – together and with others (including Tomato’s Simon Taylor, Australian improv-trance band The Necks, techno producer Ø [Phase], Japanese noise band Melt-Banana, economics writer Aditya Chakrabortty and members of Black Country, New Road). During the 52 weeks, five self-contained episodes were released (respectively in November, January, March, May and August) – collectively, they formed DRIFT Series 1.
• It’s a unique and expansive audio/visual document of that open and constantly evolving recording process – seven discs of immersive and exploratory music that dive deep inside the band’s psyche. And it’s also a carefully picked single disc sampler that guides the listener straight through the centre of the project.
• It’s a series of extraordinary films that take you from Shibuya Crossing to the Moroccan desert to rural Essex via the inside of supercomputer.
• It’s a book that delves into process and explores the motivation behind one of the most ambitious creative endeavours ever attempted by a recording artist.
And… at the heart of it, there’s some of the best music Underworld have ever made – as much a progressive leap forward into the unknown as their classic debut dubnobasswithmyheadman.
DRIFT Series 1 collects the entire body of work and will be made available digitally on the 1-year anniversary of the first release. The DRIFT Series 1 Sampler Edition comes out the same day. The DRIFT Series 1 box set comprises 7 CDs, 1 Blu-ray, and an 80 page exclusive book documenting the entire DRIFT journey from start to finish in interviews with Rick Smith, Karl Hyde and Tomato’s Simon Taylor along with pictures, poems, commentary and lyrics.
Electronic pioneers Rick Smith and Karl Hyde announce the conclusion of their groundbreaking fifty-two week DRIFT series: a new double A side single, a new album and their biggest ever live headline shows.
To be released on October 25th 2019, Underworld’s new album DRIFT SONGS marks the conclusion of their hugely ambitious 52-week DRIFT Series. During that period, music, film and text pieces are created and published every Thursday as part of the band’s on-going, very public recording process; a unique and visionary space Rick Smith and Karl Hyde have created for themselves to exist within. By the end of the DRIFT series, more new music and film will have been released by Underworld in its one-year duration than in the last fifteen years.
DRIFT SONGS expands and enhances a selection of the recordings the duo have released since they began their audio/visual experiment in November 2018. The album will be released as a single CD, double vinyl and crucially an all-encompassing box-set featuring the music, visuals and text pieces that were released throughout the entire 52-week duration of DRIFT.
Today, Underworld release Listen To Their No – the first track from DRIFT Episode 4. Previous DRIFT tracks have featured collaborations with producer Ø [Phase] and Australian experimental trio The Necks.
Earlier this week, Underworld released Soniamode (Aditya Game Version) – which is online everywhere now and is an extended and reframed version of a track originally released as part of DRIFT Episode 2: ATOM. This new version features additional lyrics from UK writer Aditya Chakrabortty – read about the making of and the ideas behind that track here.
DRIFT SONGS is Underworld’s first album release since 2016’s Grammy nominated LP Barbara, Barbara we face a shining future (“an album full of heart, soul and brilliant noise” The Observer) and the first physically released music since 2018’s Q award winning collaboration with Iggy Pop, Teatime Dub Encounters (“Born of the friction from a restless need to create… others of their standing may choose the wallowing legacy of safety. These guys do not.” NME).
Download the track and sign-up for News, Updates and Exclusive Ticket Pre-sales here: https://underworldlive.com/drift/
DRIFT EPISODE 1 – PART 1
Ten Fé just recorded a cover of Underworld’s ‘Born Slippy .NUXX’.
They’ve taken the original dance track and flipped it into an amazing emotive indie rock tune that has the feel of New Order or LCD.
And here’s a Christmas message from the guys:
We jammed this at our Office Xmas Party last week … and enjoyed it so much! So here she is, re-born, and recorded as a Christmas special : Underworld’s BORN SLIPPY
Merry Merry Christmas and A Vibey New Year from Ben & Leo
Debut album HIT THE LIGHT produced by Ewan Pearson out 3 February 2017 – pre-order here. The band have announced additional European dates to their Spring tour. 28 date UK and Europe tour in Feb/Mar – details / tickets here.